How To Make Money Selling Your Digital Photos Online?
About 12 months ago my teenage son asked how he could make some extra money, without having to get another part-time job or spend days building a website and hoping someone would visit and buy something.
I told him that selling digital photos is one of the best ways I know to earn passive income… and almost anyone can do it.
You don’t have to be a famous photographer like Annie Leibovitz or Ansel Adams to make a great passive income with your photos.
You don’t need a high end digital camera.
And, you don’t need to be a trained photographer or take particularly stunning photos.
If the photo is good enough for you to want to keep it, you can sell it.
You see, there are many different ways that you can sell your photos online.
Selling Digital Photos
Here are 2 of the more popular ways:
Strategy #1 – Sell your digital photos to the stock photography sites
You may already have a lot of valuable photos already sitting on your hard drive.
Have a look at your photo collection and look for:
- Photos of landmarks that you have taken locally or while on trips.
- Photos of landscapes, like beaches, hills, mountains, etc.
- Photos of pets or other animals.
- Photos of buildings or great architecture.
- Photos of crowds or individual people.
- Photos of your computer, car, kitchen appliance, etc.
Okay, you get the idea…
My point is, people are searching and wanting to buy these photos everyday. They could be webmasters, graphic designers or small business owners and they need a photo to put on their website, blog, sales letter or their offline brochure.
A dog training blogger needs photos of dogs doing different things for their posts. A small business owner selling bodybuilding information might want a photo of a barbell set. A website designer developing a corporate website might want a photo of a young corporate male standing next to s stop sign. The opportunities are endless.
And, the amazing part of this “make money at home” strategy is that you upload the photo once and it could be sold over and over again for many years to come. I love strategies like this where you do the work once and get paid over and over again.
Here’s How To Get Started Selling Digital Photos
- Sign up at iStockphoto.com - You can sign up for the others later.
- Research the different categories and topics to see which are popular.
- Look at your own photo collection and determine which will suit those popular topics.
- You may want crop or edit your photos to make an object the focal point of the photo.
- Upload your photos and insert the keywords that best describe your photo.
- Rinse and repeat. Just keep taking and uploading new photos as you start learning which ones sell better.
WARNING: I have to warn you – there are a few potential legal pitfalls that can trip you up if you’re not careful. To learn how to avoid these pitfalls, while making some great money from your photos, check out my “31 Day Guide to Selling Photos Online” by clicking here.
Strategy #2 - Put your photos on products and sell the products
This is a fun way to sell your digital photos. However I suggest doing both.
There are services like CafePress.com that will put your photo on mugs, t-shirts, calendars, wall clocks, jigsaw puzzles and more!
The best part is that you are creating a unique product and people love buying these products as gifts.
It is incredibly easy to do. You just upload your photo, follow the prompts to select which product you want, add some text if you want, see if it looks good and set your price… It’s that easy!
Your product then goes into their on-site marketplace for sale, but you’ll have much better results if you market your products yourself.